Sunday, July 12, 2009

Rest and Recipe

Workout Today: Rest

Workout Tomorrow: Spinning for 45 minutes

Thought: "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." -John F. Kennedy


It has been nice to have a rest day today. I've found in my training that sometimes rest days are just as important to me as an intense workout days. Our bodies need to repair. I love cooking almost as much as I love running. My husband and I have been gradually overhauling our diet in the hopes of living a healthier lifestyle. I've always thought food was a good thing, and therefore, "diet" has been sort of a cuss word to me. I can make healthy changes in the right direction, though. That sounds so much more positive. Usually, I have a smoothie for breakfast, but in an effort to diversify my diet and be more cost effective, I've decided to eat oatmeal every other day.

I found this recipe by Ellie Krieger, one of my favorite Food Network chefs, who makes great, healthy food. She knows how to use spices so things still taste good. I thought her oatmeal was simple and fulfilling. I used to not like nuts but they're growing on me, and are so healthful too.

Vanilla Spice Oatmeal


* 3 1/2 cups water
* 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
* 2 cups old-fashioned oats
* 1/2 cup raisins
* 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped, optional
* 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Pinch nutmeg
* 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, plus more, to taste
* 1 cup lowfat milk, divided
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon


In a medium saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil. Stir in the oats and raisins, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, uncovered, for 5 minutes.

In the meantime, place nuts, if using, in a dry skillet over a medium-high flame, and toast, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Set aside.

When the oats are cooked remove pan from the flame and stir in the vanilla and nutmeg. Swirl in the brown sugar and place the oatmeal in serving bowls. Pour 1/4 cup of milk on top of each bowl, and top with toasted nuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Note: For a quicker version using quick cooking or plain instant oatmeal: Cook the oatmeal according to the directions on the package. Stir raisins, brown sugar, and nutmeg into the cooked oatmeal. Top with milk, nuts (toasted or un-toasted) and cinnamon.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you on rest days! In fact, I'm taking a much-needed rest today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! I'm going to try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete