Friday, July 17, 2009

Resting and My Favorite Summer Salad

Today's Workout: Rest

Tomorrow's Workout: 6-7 miles, hills with Baby J in stroller

Thought: “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin


Since the esposo is out of town and I had a cruddy workout yesterday, I decided to take the day off. I realized today while menu planning, that I have one more week than I thought I did before my next half. That is a very good thing! Since my 10 mile run didn't go so well this week, I'm excited to have a 12 mile run, then 8, and the following weekend is the half. My best half-marathon experience happened when I ran a half marathon 2 weeks before the actual race, so I'm glad that I have that 12 on the schedule 2 weeks before this one.

Anyways, I thought I'd start sharing more recipes on rest days. Here is the recipe for my favorite summer salad. I never measure the ingredients, but you don't really have to. The recipe is self-explanatory. The esposo and my brother love this recipe as well. It's a great side to a lot of things. On www.foodpyramid.gov, I evaluated my diet and realized I need to eat more vegetables. So, this is a great way to get those greens in. If I was going to create my own world, it would definitely have a lot of strawberries and balsamic vinegar in it. They are the perfect pair.

Strawberry, Walnut, and Balsamic Salad

Mixture of Baby Spinach and mixed greens
strawberries, sliced
raw walnuts, chopped

Dressing:
Two parts balsamic vinegar to every one part olive oil
Oregano to taste
sugar to taste (optional)

(Make the dressing a few hours beforehand so the flavors meld together.)

3 comments:

  1. Good for you taking a rest day! I love spinach salad. This one sounds really good and simple too. I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome that you'll have another opportunity for a long run before the half!

    I'm hooked on a summer salad with spinach and strawberries right now.

    baby spinach
    sliced strawberries
    chopped red pepper
    slivered red onion
    chopped pecans
    crumbled feta
    creamy poppyseed dressing

    ReplyDelete